The Mar Gregorios Orthodox Christian Student Movement (MGOCSM) was formed in 1907. It is the oldest Christian Student Movement in India. It is the student wing of the Indian Orthodox Church, officially known as the Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church with Headquarters at Devalokam, Kottayam, Kerala, India.
The Movement has three main objectives:
- to deepen the spiritual life of its members.
- to prepare them to be responsible citizens in the Church and Society
- to encourage them to commit themselves for sacrificial service in the Church and Society
The students and senior leaders of the Church who were residing in Madras in the early part of the last century felt the need for an organization to bring together Christian students in various colleges and high schools with a view to deepening their spiritual life and to create in them a lively sense of fellowship. The Syrian Student Conference, the parent organization was formed in 1907 and the first conference was convened on 1-3 January 1908 at Balikamadom School, Tiruvalla, Kerala. Annual Conferences have been a regular feature since 1908. The Movement assumed the present name MGOCSM in 1960 and its motto is Worship-Study-Service.
- President: His Grace Alexios Mar Eusebius
- Director: Fr. James Cheriyan
- General Secretary: Ms. Lijin Raju
- Joint Secratary : Ms. Christina Varghese
- Treasurer : Ms. Sophy Cherian (Houston)
Regional Vice Presidents:
- East: Rev. Fr. George Daniel
- Midwest: Rev. Fr. Abi Chacko
- Northwest: Rev. Fr. Paul T. Varghese
- South: Rev. Fr. Joel Mathew
- West: Rev. Fr. Thomas Mathai
- Mr. Jiboey Abraham (Atlanta)
- Mr. Jason Abraham (California)
- Mr. Matthew Poozhikunnel (Chicago)
- Mr. Austin Cherian (Dallas & Oklahoma)
- Mr. Jerry Idicula (Detroit)
- Mr. Nithin Varghese (Florida)
- Ms. Steffi Abraham (Houston, San Antonio & Austin)
- Ms. Ashley Varghese (Seattle & Edmonton)
Council Members for 2017:
- Atlanta — Ms. Kripa Varghese
- California and Arizona — Mr. Stanley Thomas
- Chicago — Ms. Shawny Varghese
- Dallas and Oklahoma — Ms. Johannah Chacko
- Detroit — Ms. Justina Varghese
- Alberta,Vancouver and Seattle — Ms. Diya Philip
- Florida — Mr. Manoj Abraham
- Houston, San Antonio, and Austin — Ms. Sharon John
Activities of MGOCSM
- Classes on faith, liturgy and traditions of the church.
- Educational orientation classes and personality development programs.
- Providing study materials, uniforms and other scholarships to financially backward students.
- Awards for academic excellence.
- Providing clothes, medicines and financial aid to the needy.
- Annual grants to selected orphanages and charitable institutions.
- Arts and sports competitions for Sunday School students, during Onam Holidays.
- Annual tours to various Christian centers and other important places.
- Quiz and Light Music competitions.
- Publishing Newsletters and Magazines (for circulation among members only).
MGOCSM helps students to review the Sunday school topics, discuss the disturbing thoughts, and doubts they carry, enlighten through seminars and conferences etc.